Monday, September 03, 2007

Questions, questions, questions

This week’s lesson, “God’s Sinless Son,” is taken from Matthew 3:1-4:11. As I read the verses, I was reminded of some initial questions I had when I first read them years ago.

Why was Jesus baptized? Was Jesus really tempted? What was the relationship between Jesus and John? How was John’s baptism different from that of a Christian? Can I repent of the same sin more than once?

I think it’s important to re-ask even basic questions members may have about Jesus’ baptism and temptation, and especially those from one not well versed in Scripture. People appreciate honest answers to their questions. Growth happens as a result.

Travis Frampton’s commentary on the lesson outlines the predicament of the Jewish people at the time John came. He also offers good questions, too. Interestingly, the Israelites were oblivious to their sinful nature both prior to their exile and at the time of John’s coming. They were deceived.

Surely we are no less human today than they were then, so I wonder in what way are we deceived today? Questions, questions, questions….I suggest that you begin preparation this week by making a list of questions that you will use to start your lesson. Putting up such a list at the beginning is bound to create interest in what you have to say. Sonshine again offers a set of study questions for this lesson that may help you form your own list.

No comments: