Thursday, June 05, 2008

Power in the Name

I’ll probably base my lesson plan on the commentary, “Empowered to Help,” by Sam Tullock. I particularly like the context in which he explains Acts 3, 4 and 5. This helps me understand how to teach the background passage in the cultural context of today’s church.

Power and energy are big topics in the news. We can read about the power of the wind, or the power in a peanut. LifeWay’s Adult Extra suggests starting the lesson with five ways to have more energy.

I think I’ll start with the song All Hail the Power of Jesus’ Name, and then go into a discussion about available power from various sources (which will end with a challenge to look for examples of the power of the Holy Spirit in the lesson passage).

Here is a draft of my PPT slides. I post these early so that you have an opportunity to fill in key points in the text boxes labeled “To be completed”. If you have a good point to add, please post it so that everyone can benefit from what the Holy Spirit has taught you.

No comments: