Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Disbelief

Step 2 of “Be Obedient” is based on Hebrews 3:16-19. Scripturally, this picks up immediately after last week’s lesson, so I think I will introduce this lesson using a summary from last week. That way we can get right into the Scripture. I understand the idea of “disobeyed” to mean they refused to believe God. They willfully chose not to believe.

Hebrews 3:16-19 is addressed to Jewish Christians. Now, there might have been people among them who had never experienced salvation, but I think the writer of Hebrews is addressing the believers and not a specific subset. Hence, it seems that a Christian can proclaim Jesus Christ as Lord, but also experience doubt, or unbelief. Thirty years had passed since Jesus ascended, and the Jewish Christians in Jerusalem had suffered greatly as a result of professing Jesus as the Messiah. They might have doubted His promised second coming? Or as some have suggested, they wanted to improve relations with their non-believing Jewish kinsmen, who no doubt had ostracized believers.

This reminds me of times as a parent when my kids would willing disobey me in order to go along with their friends on some matter. They didn’t deny that I was their father, but they didn’t believe me when I asked them to behave in a particular way either. My way would have put them in conflict with their friends. They just didn’t believe my plan for them was the better way. What did they lose as a result? They missed receiving my blessing in that instance because of their unbelief.

I’ll noodle more on an illustration of unbelief, but I’m thinking about using the example of a PC user who is experiencing problems with his PC, but he refuses to listen to the advice of the manufacturer's service technician. He still a customer, but will miss out on the blessing of a PC that works well.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Help!!!!
How would you respond to visitors in your class who are looking for a church home, but are strictly King James 1611 readers and believe any other translation is of the devil. They did not come to my Ladies class because they want to remain in a couples' class, but the members of our couples' classes take turns teaching, and the visitors do not believe a woman should teach men.
Our pastor encourages SS and small group involvement, and the visitors expressed to me that they cannot believe he would allow the use of translation other then KJV to be used.

servingHim said...

Bummer ethel. For sure, God wants you to respond with a humble minded attitude, but also as one who knows the Bible. There are several issues in your post. To start with, you might want to bone up on the “KJV only” movement by reading this entry in Wikipedia. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King-James-Only_Movement

Anonymous said...

i like the parent/child illustration. i shall steal it and use it sunday (grin).

Anonymous said...

ethel,

I wonder why they would visit/join in the first place. i would have done my homework first just to avoid a conflict. not all "kjv only" are arrogant, but some have an axe to grind (we all usually have some "pet" belief"). it's a weak position and quickly falls apart.
but as serving him already stated, you want to remain humble...(in a whisper tone) then when they are not looking smack them with an NASB Large print family bible.

Anonymous said...

Pat! What a hoot!!!
Thank you for your response. They are "independent Baptists" and visited because I invited them!!! Our church is blessed with a gifted pastor and the visitors like him and his sermons. After our study in Romans, I understand that tbe Bible does not address every little thing and that we are to respect others who believe/practice things that aren't addressed, and that we are not to be a stumbling block for them.

Serving Him....
Thank you for directing me to the article/website. It was most interesting and after several hours of following links and reading more on the KJO movement, I soon realized I was the only one in the house still awake. Very interesting. I began searching the house and of the 10 Bibles we have, only 1 is the King James. I graduated from a Southern Baptist college, and we were required to purchase the New Revised Standard Version with Apocrypha for the Religion courses. Mine is falling to pieces, and I still use it, but no longer carry it to church.

Anonymous said...

ethel,

we had an independent preach a few months ago. he is KJO. he never brought it up. it was never an issue. only some are pushy.
I have a couple of books on the subject. "the king james version debate" by d.a. carson and "the king james only controversy" by james r. white. carson's book is small (100+ pages) and concise. doesn't deal with a lot of extra stuff. whites book is around 300 pages. i never read whites book. after reading carson i understood the main points and left it at that.

btw...don't use the nrsv on the kjo. with the extra books it will leave a knot. remember...humility. ;)