Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Now you’re talking!

Step 2 of “Tell the Truth” concentrates on Hebrews 8:1-2,6a, which makes the point that Jesus is the kind of priest we need because he finished His work (sat down), occupies a position of power and authority (at the right of God), and makes intersession for us where God really is (true tabernacle). In short, His ministry is superior. Why look elsewhere?

Before you can argue the superiority of Jesus’ ministry you need to be convinced of it yourself. What does the writer of Hebrews say that is compelling to you?


Questions to myself:

The writer of Hebrews knew a lot about the Levitical priesthood and was able to contrast it with the priesthood of Jesus. In the case of other religious systems, how knowledgeable about them must I be before I can claim the superiority of Jesus’ ministry?

If the writer of Hebrews practiced the “live and let live” philosophy of today’s world, he would not have written to the Hebrews in the first place (out of ‘respect’ for their religion). After all, it was their personal choice to turn back to Judaism. Right? Moreover, if I don’t believe there are negative consequences for the choices others make, then who cares if someone, for example, decides to worship a cow, self flagellate, or achieve some higher state?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Servinghim,
I appreciate your wisdom. But, I still struggle with trying to teach the Book of Hebrews.

I know that I'm a christian, but I wonder sometimes why the Holy Spirit doesn't reveal more to me. I'm not questioning God, I just sometimes feel confused as to why I can't grasp certain parts of God's Word and yet God's Spirit is within me.

servingHim said...

Hey man, I can identify with you! Teaching Hebrews is a huge responsibility. Let’s keep praying that God works thru every teacher to make the points in class that He wants us to convey. We are doing God’s work; just keep it up.

Regarding your other point, I can’t recall who said it, but I remember this quote, “It’s not what I don’t know about Scripture that bothers me, it’s what I do know that bothers me.” You are accountable for what you know. Teach only what you know. That’s all you can really teach, right?

Remember, like the Hebrew Christians, we are exhorted to grow in maturity, but it’s not easy to do! Every moment of life presents an opportunity to trust God and operate in obedience to His revealed will for us. The more obedient we are, the more we grow in maturity.

Let me encourage you to hang in there. Practice 1 John 1:9 when you fail (often for me), and allow the love of Christ to motivate you. God will bless your study of His Word over time. Of this I am confident.

Anonymous said...

Awesome advice.
Thanks.
God bless you!