Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Grow in maturity

Several of the commentaries on this week’s lesson mention the idea of ‘urgency’ due to Peter’s opening remark: “The end of all things is near.” This lesson can help us grow in maturity, which we urgently need to do. Why? The maturity we enter heaven with is all we will ever have, and Christ’s return is near, so we need to get busy growing.

Yesterday I mentioned Kathryn Aragon’s Suffering Quotient Quiz, which she proposed as a means of demonstrating how we react, not how we should respond. I think I’ll use it immediately after I set the context for God’s purposes for us.

To learn to respond maturely in stressing situations, we should discipline ourselves to think before we act and feel (TAF). A friend once taught me not to feel, act, and think (FAT). That’s a reaction. Here is a page discussing TAF, but it is not written from a Christian perspective.

No comments: