Monday, October 22, 2007

Questions of identity

This week we are studying the LifeWay Explore the Bible lesson, “Centered on Christ”, which is based on Matthew 16:13-17:27.

A few years ago, I was teaching a bible study on Monday nights. I passed out 3x5 cards and asked attendees to write two questions they’d like to ask God. I was humbled by the nature and depth of the questions as I later reviewed them for clues to help me better prepare and teach to the real needs of the class. The attendees were hungry to know about Jesus Christ, and what it meant to live as a Christian. That following Wednesday night, I showed my pastor the cards (they were anonymous), and he read the questions. Afterwards he said, “I only wish I could spend time answering questions like this. For example, I spent today dealing with the question on which side of the platform the piano should sit.”

Consider starting this lesson by having members silently read the focal passage, Matthew 16:13-28, and write one question they personally have for Jesus. Tell them not to sign their name, or otherwise indicate their identity on the card. You don’t have to collect the cards, but the exercise is designed to get members thinking about Jesus, and questions they have for Him.

Jeff Meyer’s comments stimulate another idea for starting the lesson. Ask members to tell their nickname when they were in school, or at work today. Ask them to say how they got it. This should get people talking and to start thinking about the idea of how a person is identified. The lesson will take up the issue of the identity of Jesus as perceived by those around Him.

No comments: