Friday, January 25, 2008

Playing the lottery

I found a lesson commentary from Michael Reynolds, pastor of Central Baptist Church in Marion, Ohio. I appreciate it when pastors take time to help Bible teachers do a better job on Sunday Morning.

Sonshine posted questions for studying the lesson, “Do you trust the Lord’s promises?” as did First Baptist Church, Chester, Illinois.

In his commentary, pastor Michael raises the issue of misapplication of Scripture. He also raises the issue of Christians “playing the lottery” instead of trusting in the promises of God as recorded in Scripture.

Do you think Scripturally speaking, it is a sin for Christians to play the lottery? Is it just an unwise choice? Neither? (BTW: I don’t play the lottery, but I’m interested in what you think Scripture teaches). What do you think your class members think about playing the lottery?

2 comments:

Ruth said...

I do not play the lottery either but my husband does. While I personally do not view it as sinful so long as our families are not having to pay the consequences for our actions or that we take money needed to meet our obligations. I do believe I have a responsibility as a Christian and a SS teacher to stay away from things that may be preceived as sinful by those who are watching. 1 Thes 5:22 tells us to "abstain from all appearances of evil".
So I guess my answer to you question would be that i think it is an unwise choice.

servingHim said...

Hi Ruth,

I've talked to several people. Some consider it to be "gambling", which spurs greed, etc. Some say it is okay since it is "government sponsored".

People I know that play it are hoping for a big win. They have an expectation of winning, which is unsettling to me.

Thanks for sharing,
RW