Monday, November 06, 2006

Who do you look up to?

This week’s LifeWay lesson is taken from Hebrews 11:1-40. It’s called “Exhibit Your Faith”. State that believers demonstrate their faith in God by the actions they take. They look to God and believe even though they don’t experience (can’t see) the full reality of God’s promise.

Bill Gates had a vision of a PC on every desktop. He put his ‘faith’ to work when he founded Microsoft. Richard Stallman had a vision of free software that’s unrestricted like free speech and founded the GNU Project and the Free Software Foundation. These two views of the software world were in opposition, but each has been wildly successful (in different ways).

Both of these men had faith in themselves and their ideas, but a Christian has faith in God, which leads to specific actions that are ultimately commendable by the Lord himself. Consider Jim Dobson for example. He had a vision for a ministry to families and founded Focus on the Family.

While Bill Gates and Richard Stallman inspire millions and their achievements are laudable, I admire Dr. Dobson more. The manner in which he lives out his faith makes him a hero to me. Others (non-believers) disparage Dr. Dobson regularly because of his faith. What ‘actions of faith’ does Jim Dobson demonstrate that I would like to see in my life? Good question.

Ask members to name a Christian they admire and have them consider that same question. The answers might surprise you!

5 comments:

Cameron said...

Here's some points I'm chewing on right now. I haven't looked at the Leader Guide yet, so this may be off the path they've laid out. YMMV

1) Faith is rooted in a discontent of the present -- it's "the assurance of things hoped for."

2) You can see evidences of discontent that's fueling faith in Heb 11:13-16 (esp. v16 - "But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one.").

3) We are still grateful for present graces, but we long for the eventual consummation of grace and joy in God.

4) If we lose our discontent and actually become completely content with the present (which seems to be how we're taught in church today), we stop having faith because we don't hope for anything better. Discontent must exist for faith to exist. Discontent is not always sin, but it doesn't always lead to faith, either.

5) In our discontent of the present and our hope in a better future, we do "crazy" things for Him. Honestly, what's more ridiculous than marching around a fortified city 7 times and tooting some horns? Or how about building a gigantic boat hundreds of miles from water and filling it with animals? The only reason a person/people would do those things is if they had an assurance of a better future and a fuller grace up ahead of them.

Just some thoughts. Still working on filling these out and tying them in to the rest of the lesson.

servingHim said...

Hi Cameron,

Great post!

I've been thinking about it. The 'rooted in discontent' statement challenges me to search out the truth of its supposition. Very interesting!

I don't disagree with your ideas of how you want to apply the 'discontent' notion, and I think it will actually make members 'think' more deeply about what faith really is--whether your right, or wrong about its roots.

We need someone to comment on the word used for faith in the original text.

Ronnie

servingHim said...

Cameron, Dillon,

Ray Stedman makes the point in his commentary on Hebrews 11 that the people in the examples cited wanted more than just personal satisfaction in a better place, they also wanted to see God's purpose fulfilled.

So the desire as Dillon put it, or the root of discontent as Cameron noted has a goal of seeing God's will done on earth. This makes sense to me given the relational aspect of faith. We want to see the goals of the Lord we love fulfilled.

Ronnie

Cameron said...

Dillon,
Interesting commentary. I would say that your desire is rooted in your circumstance. Or said another way, faith is the assurance of things desired. So, I think my original argument as unchanged. I meant to deal with "action" in point #5 of my original post.

Ronnie,
I have been thinking about changing my wording to not use "discontent" and instead using "dissatisfaction." "Discontent" is a bit more provocative since it's seems opposed the NT (ie. Phil 4:11, 1 Tim 6, Heb 13:5), but I think "dissatisfaction" carries the same meaning without the possible confusion. Either way, I still need to articulate exactly what I mean if I use this in the lesson.

I've also been contemplating this argument in light of the fact that of faith, hope, and love, only love is eternal since faith and hope will be unnecessary in heaven. It is only in heaven that we are ultimately content; it is only in God that we are finally and eternally satisfied. It is only in the presence of God that nothing else can be desired.

Having said all that, I think my original argument may be misplaced. Our faith is the assurance or conviction of things hoped for. Our conviction is not directly rooted in discontent, but our hope is. But I would suggest that hope is a prerequisite of faith.

Hmm...apparently, I need to meditate on these things some more. Comments welcome.

servingHim said...

Cameron,

Do be too hard on yourself!

To me hope is a sure conviction of what is to come, we just don't know when. Faith is a commitment to the person acting to bring about that conviction (hope). In our case, our faith is in Jesus Christ because God does not lie. He will keep his promise to forgive sin. Our sure hope is one day to serve in His presence in a glorified body.

I like your point that faith and hope are not needed in heaven!

Ronnie