Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Avoid ambiguity

It's imperative that bible lessons be clear, otherwise, misunderstandings about critical doctrines happen. Step 2 of the lesson, “Involved in Ministry” is based on Matthew 25:31-33, and it may NOT be clear to members when this judgment takes place. Also, the basis for the judgment may NOT be clear. It would be a mistake to claim that the sheep go into eternal life because of their works, or ministry, or service. The righteous enter eternal life not because of works of service, but as a result of new birth by God’s grace. The judgment in Matthew 25 separates believers from unbelievers, and the later will experience eternal separation from God in Hell.

However, if you want to discuss it, there is a judgment of rewards, which is based in part on service.

To insert some humor in the lesson and to make your point about understanding the focal passage, either share some of these Church Bulletin Bloopers, or share selected ambiguous English statements from this collection.

4 comments:

Cameron said...

I don't know that I will cover rewards this Sunday, but I heard an interesting reading of Jonathan Edwards' view on levels of reward and happiness in Heaven. You can access it here.

servingHim said...

Hey Cameron,
Good to hear from you. I hope things are going well for you out in West Texas.

Appreciate the link. I listened and Edwards seems to make a good case for varying degrees of rewards in heaven. Interestingly, he also points out that
those with less will see it as "fit". That perspective is not naturally understood.

Thanks for posting,
RW
P.S. BTW, did you ever see the post in response to your prior remark that perhaps traffic on this blog correlates to whether or not the lesson is from the Old or New Testament?

Cameron said...

I did see your post about the traffic stats but didn't comment on it.

I don't know what the stats mean, but I will say that I've found Matthew to be harder than I expected. My main struggle through Matthew has been "How do I present this passage that most of my class have known their whole lives and make it seem more compelling and relevant than it has been?" I doubt that I'm the only one that's been wrestling with that question.

Things are going well here in Abilene. Between work, the kids, church, and my new hobby, it's been busy! :-)

servingHim said...

Well, I'm impressed, and I encourage you to continue even after you meet your goal.

I'm also a runner (for more than 20 years), but only do 5Ks or 10Ks. If we are ever in the same town, maybe we can pound the pavement together!

I agree with your comment about making the lessons relevant and interesting. One strategy is to start the lesson by creating tension .

Ronnie