Thursday, November 08, 2007

Rock and a hard place to be

Dr. Sam Tullock outlines the background passage for the lesson, “A Place for All”. As usual, his insight is a good read. For more detailed commentary I refer you to Dr.Alan Ross’ exposition on Matthew. Click the “next page” link at the bottom of his pages to read from chapter 19:16 to 22:46.

The teacher in me is frustrated with this lesson. It is impossible to cover four chapters of Matthew in a Sunday morning lesson. Many great passages won’t even get a sentence spoken about them much less insightful treatment. Much of Matthew’s gospel will be ignored. Is it satisfactory to simply apologize to members? What am I to do? What do you advise?

Before I post my slides, I’d like to hear from you. If some teacher asked your advice on this, what would you say?

5 comments:

Dan Kassis said...

Ronnie, thanks for letting other teachers know about Teaching Insights. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts and comments.

servingHim said...

You are welcome Dan. We look forward to your comments this week.

Scott Gilliam said...

Ronnie,

I check your site every week and always come away with something useful. Thank you for the time you put in..As far as this week, if the thrust of the lesson is to assure us that the Church is truly "A Place for All"..then the verses in Chapter 19 seem to be more relevant.
We can try to do too much in a short period of time!....
I am interested in your impressions of this series of lessons as opposed to the Bible Studies for Life series.
Thanks again.

scott

servingHim said...

Hi Scott,

I'm not familiar with the Bible Studies for Life series. Many years ago, I used to teach what was called the "Life Application Series". Perhaps they are similar?

I prefer Explore the Bible lessons because of the systematic study of the Scriptures.

I understand your point about this week's lesson. I'm praying, too, that the good Lord will lead me to the right focus for my particular class.

Thanks for sharing,
RW

Anonymous said...

I appreciate all the study and time you put into the words of wisdom you share with us weekly.. in answer to your question, how will we handle teaching so much of Mathew..I usually try to pull out the points and verses that relate the best to my particular class and focus on that. After all if God lets us live sooner or later we will be teaching on this book again.