Thursday, May 26, 2005

Friday, and how relevant is my lesson?

In February of this year we had to put down a family pet that I dearly loved. He put up a courageous struggle to live, but modern veterinary medicine couldn’t save him. To end his suffering, we made the tough decision to let him go. We cried rivers.

SkyBoy’s fight for life lasted several months and it hurt me in particular. We spent a lot of time together since I’m retired and work at home on most of my projects. I pleaded with God to restore his health (he was only three years old), but that didn’t happen. In the aftermath, it hurt so deeply to know that he was gone forever and I sought God to be delivered from the sorrow. I was grieving and wanted to be released from the pain. With the help of God’s Word, I was able to work thru it and am now able to look back with joy and thanksgiving for the days we had with Mr. Sky.

This is just one of my stories of suffering, but Proverbs 14:10 says, “Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.” This means that each person in the room has many of their own stories of sorrow (and joy). The lesson is relevant to everyone for sure. If people are willing to share, it helps to express painful memories as the Leaders Guide suggests in Steps 2 and 3. Another exercise alternative is to first have neighbors sitting next to each other share a recent story of suffering after you set an example by sharing your own story. This has the added benefit of creating an opportunity for members to comfort and encourage one another.

A common saying is “everything happens for a reason.” But the deeper truth is that the Lord has purpose(s) behind our suffering that makes it relevant. Paul lays it all out in Rom 5:3-4.

No comments: