Sunday, May 29, 2005

Lamentations, lamentations

Sometimes I regret using PPT because my Snellen eye chart projected too large and most people could read it with their glasses off! Rats! I should have tested the projection size before class. However, our reliance on eyeglasses for good vision as an illustration of how we rely on God was understood.

For much of the oral reading of Lamentations in Hebrew (see last week's post), I didn't have the volume turned up on the external speakers and the illustration went poorly. Bt the time I realized the problem, people were laughing at the on-screen chart of side-by-side Hebrew and English verses. The question was "Where are we?"--not a joke most teachers want to hear.

The video of wounded soldiers eating out in DC rescued me (see D.C. Vets Get The Beef) ! Go Army! One soldier, Jay Fondren, is from my home town and another soldier testified how his depression turned into a blessing. That fit very will into the lesson point that the Lord has a purpose behind our suffering--I made sure that suffering learners in the class understood that this included my lesson as well :-)

LifeWay's James T. Draper Jr. Launches Blog--maybe he'll have some interesting ideas regarding teaching materials from LifeWay? Now, if we could only get him to mention this blog in his...

2 comments:

servingHim said...

That's great Pee Wee. I'm sure even old Pee Wee Reese would be proud of the catch you made!! For sure, the Lord is pleased that you made the effort to teach others about Him in such a memorable and personal way.

Thanks for your post on Saturday. I was travelling and didn't see it until Sunday. It has many good ideas. For me, the key need is to have a great illustrations, demonstrations, object lessons, and exercises to use in class. At the last minute I found the CBS video with the wounded veterans that not only fit with the lesson, but also with the holiday.

Let's keep interacting to help each other.

Marty Duren said...

It isn't impossible to be mentioned by Dr. James T; he mentioned mine!