Tuesday, May 31, 2005

What would make this lesson unforgettable?

Steve Smartt commenting on the lesson “Taking on a tough task,” illustrates the Christian witnessing goal using the analogy of a salesman, whose job it is to make them thirsty, not make them drink. He also mentions the frequently heard illustration of warning people to flee a burning house.

God helps us at our point of need. The Jewish people in Babylonian captivity needed to repent, so He sent Ezekiel to call them into repentance. He sends Christians today as ambassadors for Christ, but we have our excuses. A Preacher Confessional message suggests to me that one approach to this first lesson from Ezekiel is to make it a ‘confessional’ lesson after sharing the pastor’s 6 points as a discussion starter. This approach would be very different than the typical lesson structure.

Regarding this lesson, James McCullen at Liberty Baptist Church makes the point that pastors know their calling. This makes me wonder if Christians know their calling in the same way? How can we as teachers effectively demonstrate that Godly compulsion which drives a called one into restlessness until he commits to serving Him? Our own Mike Taylor gave a wonderful demonstration of witnessing results at the end of his “What drives you” message.

Omar C. García at Plymouth Park Baptist Church comments on this lesson indicates that the obstinate people in verse 2:4 are “hard of face.” Show the following collage of faces and ask which ones frighten you to the point of not being able to share the gospel? Why?

LifeWay posted the leaders guide material for this lesson as a sample, and the Extra material is something to consider as well. I’m still working thru both of these, but so far neither document suggests to me that one great memorable illustration, demonstration or object lesson needed to make this lesson unforgettable. I'll keep looking...

4 comments:

Marty Duren said...

Hey Serving,

Thanks for stopping by the Outpost and linking it to your own blog; I'll pass yours along to our leaders who are in that particular series.

In your SciFi interest, have you read the "Red Planet" trilogy and what was your take? I really struggle to read any SciFi (though I try to read some of everything), but that particular series looked appealing to me. Thanks.

BTW, I prefer hiking to canoeing, but paddle away bro!

servingHim said...

Appreciate it Marty. Your site raises some interesting points. I'll visit frequently :-).

I think you are referring to the Mars trilogy by Kim Stanley? See a review at http://www.orionsarm.com/books/Mars_Trilogy.html.

I haven't read the series since they aremore or less "science reality" books. I prefer authors like Maxine McArthur, Maureen McHugh, and William Gibson. When you say "struggle", do mean the technology parts, the fantasy parts, extraterrestrials, or what?

Well, I like hiking, too!! Hope to see on a trail someday.

Marty Duren said...

Probably the settings and such; I think that makes it hard for me to relat. I never got into Star Trek nor any of the SciFi Channel's original programming. I had considered reading Gibson's books, but haven't gotten to it yet. (Interstingly, the old Doc Savage pulp novels are some of my faves from childhood.)

I did enjoy some of the Star Wars movies, but I think more the action than the actual plotline. Thanks for replying and you were right about Kim Stanley's Mars trilogy.

servingHim said...

Marty, I did end up reading the Red Mars trilogy. Whew! Made me want to colonize some desert here on earth. Anyway, I enjoyed the series.

Ronnie