Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Tuesday, what to do? What to do?

The lesson title is "Rely on the Lord's Faithfulness" and the background passage is Lamentations 1-5, with focal verses from chapter 3. I read the material out of the Adult Leader Guide for the Explore the Bible series, and commentary for this lesson already posted on the Web includes: Liberty Baptist Church and Plymouth Park Baptist Church as well as The Baptist Standard.

After reading this material, my first thought was "Why does evil and suffering exist given that God is all powerful, all knowing, and present everywhere?" He could just wipe out all evil, right? My next thought was "He'd have to start with me!" Thank the Lord for His mercy!

Regarding useful illustrations, potential object lessons, suggested demonstrations, or possible exercises for this lesson: Hmmm? What should I do? Pray. Pray.

To set the "suffering" tone of the lesson, I thought about starting by playing a one or two minute segment of a reading of Lamentations in Hebrew, which has the cadence of a sad funeral dirge. If so, I'd simultaneously show a side-by-side of the Hebrew/English translation on a single slide so people would be able to have some idea of what is being read.

When I suffer, what or who do I rely on? And to what end? Mere survival? Or do I desire joy, become prayerful, and even thank the Lord? (1 Thes 5:16-18). Who, or what is guiding me when I suffer, or when I am depressed? A yoke is a symbol of a burden, but it also is used to guide oxen. Hence, the Lord uses suffering to guide us into His Purpose. As an object lesson, Lifeway Quick Source suggests wearing a necktie as a symbol of a yoke. Most people no longer wear neckties to church, so to get class participation, it may be necessary to pass out some old neckties. Time to clean out the closet!!

I'll keep praying about these suggestions until I have a peace regarding "what to do?".

1 comment:

servingHim said...

Pee Wee, thanks for the suggestions. You could take a glove and ball to class and ask a volunteer to throw you the ball. You have to catch it no matter what he throws--lob, grounder, slider, curve, fast, etc. The glove makes that wide range of performance possible for you. God is like the glove. You can rely on Him to help you catch whatever life throws at you. The two of you work together, each doing your part, to get the job done. Just as the glove won't work by itself, God requires us to go thru whatever trial we face (type of pitch). He does promise to go with us. If you drop the glove off your hand (that is, lose your Godly influence), you won't be a very effective catcher.

Ronnie