Monday, June 20, 2005

Excuses

Science has long debated the influence of nature versus nurture, or how heredity and environment play into shaping who we are. By definition, science leaves God out. This week’s lesson, “Accepting Individual Responsibility” from Ezekiel 18:1-13 teaches that regardless of influence, we are personally accountable before the Lord for individual sin. We can’t shift responsibility for personal sin and blame someone else, say for improper upbringing. For example, while I may envy the early moral training some of my adult friends received, the fact that I didn’t receive it does not give me license to blame my parents, or others for wrong actions today. God holds me accountable. Whatever good or bad has happened in the past is unchangeable. I am who I am today. To coin a phrase, I am “made for now on”. In other words, regardless of what contributed to shape me, I am responsible from this point forward for my actions.

On the web you'll find a Quicksource quide for this lesson in the LifeWay Leaders Guide promo material for next quarter’s series out of Romans. Seems odd? Anyway, Quicksource provides two teaching alternatives. The first uses a“string around the finger” idea as a reminder that we are personally accountable. The second illustration plays off the idea of “passing a hot potato” around.

I'll pass the potato for now and talk later about top 10 lists for the “dog ate my homework,” Jimmy Holondale, the Blame Game, the buck stops here, comics on excuses, or whatever I can find to help make a difference in in this important lesson.

No comments: