Friday, June 24, 2005

I don't know

In Joel Osteen's interview with Larry King, I lost count at 40 the number of times Osteen replied "I don't know." Practicing this week's lesson to 'accept individual responsibilty,' we sometimes have to declare what we do know even when it may be unpopular.

For example, to declare that Jesus Christ said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No man comes to the Father except through me," is the responsibilty of every minister, if not every believer. Observe how Osteen avoid's this responsibility in the following exchange with King by saying "I don't know":

KING: What if you're Jewish or Muslim, you don't accept Christ at all?
OSTEEN: You know, I'm very careful about saying who would and wouldn't go to heaven. I don't know ...
KING: If you believe you have to believe in Christ? They're wrong, aren't they?
OSTEEN: Well, I don't know if I believe they're wrong. I believe here's what the Bible teaches and from the Christian faith this is what I believe. But I just think that only God with judge a person's heart. I spent a lot of time in India with my father. I don't know all about their religion. But I know they love God. And I don't know. I've seen their sincerity. So I don't know. I know for me, and what the Bible teaches, I want to have a relationship with Jesus.

In today's pluralistic, inclusive culture there is great pressure to avoid accepting responsibilty when it comes to declaring the truth as found in Scripture. Pray for Joel Osteen, and all believers for that matter, to have the Christ-like character of courage to accept the responsibility to clearly declare the gospel of Jesus Christ.

No comments: