Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Stand Firm in Faith

I was in Costa Rica this last week and had momentary trouble regaining my balance on arriving at the zip-line, tree stands incorporated into our canopy tour. Just as I unhooked from the cable, I experienced a feeling of tipping backwards. The sensation was short lived, but it serves to help illustrate this week’s lesson out of Daniel 5-6 challenging us to Stand Firm in Faith.

I made a list of situations where I have had some difficulty standing. You can add your thoughts and use the final list as a way to introduce the idea of “specific issues where it may be difficult for us to take a firm stand.”

1. Walking across a chasm on a rope bridge.
2. Traversing a “barrel bridge” across moving water (in an amusement park)
3. Vertigo when quickly standing up from a supine position
4. Misstep while hiking with a loaded backpack
5. Standing up out of a ski lift chair at the right moment.
6. Walking in a pitch black room.
7. Standing in a bus or rail car that lurches forward, or quickly stops.

My co-teacher, Curt, rides a motorcycle. To keep that thing balanced, here are a few things he must think about occasionally.

Our Rock, Jesus Christ is always solid. We can depend on Him.

No comments: