Saturday, September 17, 2005

Blind spots

Chuck Cummings (chuck@cummingshouston.com) of Cummings & Houston, LLP advised business leaders to learn from the criticism of others. This is key to growth since it helps one see (1) blind spots, (2) learn to handle criticism, (3) learn to forgive and not hold grudges, (4) put the needs of others ahead of those of oneself.

In learning to handle criticism we grow skills in (a) listening, (b) questioning and clarification, (c) discernment, (d) decision making, (e) expressing gratefulness.

What “blind spots” do Christians have today? How has God’s name been blasphemed because of Christians? In times past the Crusades and racism where confused by the Church with other motives. Writing In God’s Name, Michael Horton, asks a gut check question: Is it theological or political? He explores possible blind spots in the Church regarding the issues of abortion, homosexual rights and public display of the Ten Commandments.

To wrap up preparing to teach “Who Needs the Gospel? They Do Too!”, out of Romans 2:1-29, let me say that this lesson has helped me to become aware of my own judgmental behavior. I have asked God to forgive me and I have changed my mind to see just how evil judgmentalism is. I pray that the Lord will strengthen me and help me to Christ-like love and kindness!

No comments: