Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Judging the excuses of others

Ten reasons why people skip going to church from the Mother of All Excuses site:

129. I skipped Church so the Deacons wouldn't ask me to help them with Collection.
122. There is too much praying going on.
103. I must mow the yard, or I have to wash the car.
91. Nobody notices when I'm gone anyway.
81. They're always asking me for more of my money.
65. Pastors can't forgive sins.
41. I don't understand what's goin' on anyway.
37. I don't do nothing bad, so I'm goin' to heaven anyway.
27. I work lots of overtime.... so I'm too tired to worship God.
12. There are too many hypocrites in church.

Humorously, read thru the list presenting one at a time. After everyone agrees that people use these excuses, make the point Paul makes in Romans 2:3. In other words, it is so easy to judge others (be critical about their motives, or character), but the reality is we all do the same things (or have done the same thing).

Should we excuse our sinful behavior, but call attention to that of others? Check out the Explore the Bible Adult EXTRA! from LifeWay for a similar exercise.

No comments: