Monday, June 11, 2007

Affirm God's Justice

Co-teacher Curt did a great job yesterday setting a context of the history of Edom and Judah before teaching Obadiah. So I’ve been doing some background reading today on Assyria to prepare for Sunday’s lesson: "Affirm God's Justice" based on Nahum 1:1-3:19, or specifically Nahum 1:1-3, 7-8; 3:1-7,19.

Mark Rathel’s commentary on the lesson is useful for background material if you don’t have access to the Biblical Illustrator articles: “The Historical Setting of Nahum”, and “God’s Jealousy”. Read the BI articles if you have them!

I admit that when I read Nahum’s book, it’s style left me wanting. However, now that I understand it is a book of poetry, I will approach the text differently.

To introduce the lesson, I was thinking of the phrase “got what was coming”. Hopefully I can find a useful news story, or video to use in opening the lesson.

No comments: