Monday, July 16, 2007

Dependence based on Zechariah 4

Howdy! Well, I made it back from last week’s trip to Alaska. That state is an awesome display of the beauty of God’s creation. Like a lampstand, it is a testimony to dark minds that refuse to see God.

I missed studying LifeWay’s first message from Zechariah, but I’m looking forward to this week’s lesson titled “Dependence” based on Zechariah 4. It spotlights our need to rely on the power of the Holy Spirit. Some graphics of the visions of Zechariah may help you prepare slides.

Speaking of dependence, I have to say that without an Internet connection I’m an idiot! How much do you rely on it? Try going without for a week. The next time you have a need to know something, try finding an answer without using the Internet. You’ll quickly discover how dependent you are on tools like Google and Yahoo, for example.

How dependent are we on technology? We simply cannot live anywhere near our current standard without it. Similarly, we can ask about our reliance on the Holy Spirit to lead godly lives. How much of the God’s revelation would we know without the Holy Spirit? How much would we believe, or trust without His work in our lives? Would we make even the slightest commitment to Christ without the Holy Spirit?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alaska is my home. I was born and raised in Alaska, and due to the expense of air travel with my family, only visit infrequently. I have been away for some years now to Texas, however I do miss God's Country!!

Like you I am dependent on technology. I currently go to school on-line. I work from my home office as necessary, keep in touch with distant friends and family, as well as prepare Sunday School lessons on-line.

I had it in my mind you were away for two weeks. Glad you have returned safely.

Warmest Regards,
LJ

servingHim said...

Yikes, LJ! I don't know how I gave you the idea that I'd be out "two weeks". Let me say now, that I'd get the shakes if I had to go more than a week w/o my PC.

BTW, glad you made your way to Texas. I love to hike in David Mts area of West Texas. I thought it was remote until I went to Alaska. That state is big, but it is a little too remote for me.

Glad your back,
RW