Thursday, April 24, 2008

Peace about your lesson plan

In his blog, John Vandiver comments on the lesson, “When Presented With Challenging Tasks”, which is based on - Genesis 41:1-57. He brings to the lesson a point about misjudging people.

In his lesson plan, Jay Hancock raises the issue of an individual's self-esteem, which he describes as controversial.

Sonshine offers a series of thought provoking questions for this lesson. She summarizes its aim as an opportunity to gauge our growth in Christ by measuring our content with waiting on God.

As you can see there are many ways to approach this particular Bible passage, so what should you do? When I’m unsure of how I will approach a lesson, or what exact points I will teach, I get somewhat anxious. However, as I prepare, I settle down once I start to have my own plan in place (which may draw from other people’s ideas). I pray that you are on your way to a plan for this lesson that you have peace about!!

P.S. Due to travel next week, I’m unsure if I will be able to blog. :(

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is interesting that there seems to be a disconnect in the secular world. As a child we are tought and as a parent encouraged to teach our children to have a high self-esteem. In stark contrast, one of the NY Times Best Selling business books of late is Tim Collins' "Good to Great". In the book Collins reveals the results of a long study to find out what separates the "Good" companies from the truly "Great" ones (measured by stock performance). Anyway, he offers a 3 part solution that starts with 'disciplined people' and what he calls 'level 5 leadership'. Level 5 leadership is the combination of both professional will and personal humility. The greatest companies had leaders who exhibited both of these traits.

When my boss presented Collins book as part of our business strategy he pointed out to our organization that God is also looking for 'level 5 leaders' and His definition can be found in Isaiah 66:2 (similar to Collins, it includes humility or God-esteem).

God Bless You All,