Monday, April 14, 2008

When all hope seems lost, Genesis 39-40

Since we only had 20 verses to cover yesterday, I taught without PPT slides and received some positive feedback from people that perceived a greater personal interaction than when I do use PPT. Perhaps the PPT slides become a distraction? I walk a fine line to prevent PPT from becoming the focus of attention, but I don’t always succeed. How about you?

The lesson this week, “When all hope seems lost” is based on Genesis 39:21-40:23. The origin of the phrase “grasp at straws” gives insight into its meaning—trying to find hope in a bad situation.

wikiHow tells us how to avoid making a bad situation worse, but what does the Bible tell us? Let’s dig in and find out what God’s word says!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all, thank you for keeping this blog going...its a very valuable resource.

Second, I dont use PPT...never tried actually. That said, I walk a similar fine line trying to engage the class with 'how much do I talk' vs 'how much do I try to get them to talk'.

God Bless,

servingHim said...

You make a good point about who's doing all the talking. Like you, I favor a more interactive class, but I also have to guard against allowing a 'blind guide' leeway, which the class away from the truth.

Thanks also for the compliment about the site. I can better focus on enhancing its value proposition if I could just figure out why it's useful! :-)

Ruth said...

I don't use ppt either, but it's because our church doesn't have the equipment. However, I think ppt presentations are wonderful. As for the way I conduct my class, I lean more toward the Q&A approach while trying to maintain control to keep from "chasing too many rabbits". Sometimes that is difficult. But I keep on trying and praying that God will use it too His glory somehow, someway!