Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Serving restores hope

“Son, your dad will never leave this hospital alive.” These were shocking words. It was a Friday and I was desperately trying to find anyway that would enable my father to live longer. The doctor’s words came in response to my begging him to perform surgery to remove the cancer. I urged him to do anything that might help my father live. All hope was lost when the doctor refused (for good reasons, which I now understand and appreciate).

I spent the weekend with dad to be with him, to help comfort him, and to encourage him. Sometimes he would wheeze out, “How am I doing?” I’d tell him, “Great, I’m proud of you!” On Saturday, I pushed him around the hospital hallways in a wheelchair, and he worked out a smile for people as they passed by. On Sunday, I told him stories about going to the Texas State Fair with him as we looked out the over the Fair grounds in south Dallas, high up from our perch in Baylor Hospital.

Dad died that next Wednesday.

Looking back on this dark time in my life, I can understand that serving my father that weekend eased the pain of watching him die. It was an honor to wake at night and help him to the restroom, or get him a glass of water, or help him in some small way. At times, he joked and we laughed together. I was encouraged when I left on Monday.

Step 3 of the lesson, “When all hope seems lost” focuses on the need to help others when we are in a hopeless situation. Doing so restores hope. How can you help members appreciate this truth?

No comments: