Tuesday, September 22, 2009

God is Great, Psalm 135

I’m enjoying teaching the Psalms. This week we teach Psalm 135 in a lesson titled “God is Great”. The link points to Mark Rathel’s commentary where we are reminded of what worship is. I liked his definition of Hallelujah since we often sing it without realizing what it means.

When I first started teaching adult Life Group classes (Sunday School), my department director, Jack Longgrear, would bring the class to attention by quoting Psalm 118:24, “This is a day that the Lord hath made, let’s rejoice and be glad in it.”

Do you have a signature verse that you quote to start your lesson? If not, may I suggest Proverbs 22:17-19? Consider calling your class to attention by quoting v19, “So that your trust may be in the LORD, I teach you today, even you.” If you are consistent, your class will learn the verse, too.

Quoting v19 fits with the lesson since we want to place our trust in our Great God, the LORD.

3 comments:

Jim said...

Thank you for today's posting. I had been looking at Mark Rathel’s commentary last night and this morning. I liked his 'review' of what worship should be.
I am glad to be leading study for this Psalm. Last week's Scripture ended in 'Praise the Lord.' The Book of Psalms is good.
Also I'm sending the link to it to my brother-in-law in Louisiana, his class is studying this series also. Royce is a graduate of the The Baptist College of Florida in Graceville. When he was there it was The Baptist Bible College.
Thanks again,
..

servingHim said...

Hi Jim,

You're welcome. I appreciate you forwarding the link to your b-n-law. I'm sure he is a good teacher given his good training, and he will like it, I think.

I thank the Good Lord for the sound teaching that continues in some of our colleges today.

RW

Hal Harris said...

Thanks for sharing the Proverbs 22:17-19 reference. Your calling attention to it brought it to renewed life and meaning for me. ~hh