Thursday, December 01, 2005

Mercy, mercy, mercy

I’ve prayed many times for unbelievers, particularly atheist, but these verses 6-18 in Romans 9 make me question my motives. Do I want unbelievers saved just so I can be proven right about God? To the contrary, Paul was anguished about the future, ultimate condemnation and judgment unbelievers face. He wanted them to be saved, but as verse 16 reminds us, “it does not depend on human will or effort, but on God, who shows mercy.”

Election is a difficult doctrine, particularly if you accept some limitation on God’s sovereignty. For example, does man really have free will? Verse 18 says, “He shows mercy to whom He wills, and He hardens whom He wills.” Paul was emotional about the status of his unbelieving brothers. How does the truth in Romans 9:14-18 make you feel?

On page 18 of the LifeWay Leader Guide, the commentary says that verse 18 “does not mean God ever violated the human will of Moses or Pharaoh or anyone else.” The commentary goes on to say that “…God’s sovereignty and human responsibility work together…and not in contradiction to each other.” How can we explain this “togetherness” as teachers and at the same time teach that salvation is from God alone? I’m confused, but I thank God for His mercy and grace. The good news is that God through Jesus Christ purposed to save any of us.

I’ll use a PPT slide with a picture of kiln on it. The pottery is hardened inside the kiln. It illustrates to me that the clay is what it is and the heat of the circumstances around it causes it to harden. Who made the pottery? Who put it in the kiln? Who turned up the heat? The potter. Remember God’s mercy and thank Him!

No comments: