Thursday, March 26, 2009

Pickpockets

I went with a church group to Israel. As we visited the various sites, the tour guide frequently reminded us to watch out for pickpockets. Sadly, when we visited the Garden Of Gethsemane, an older gentleman in our group had his wallet stolen. He was on the lookout, too, but it happened anyway.

Perhaps you can read the following testimony during your lesson:

Pickpockets on the subway in Lisbon were very active. They didn't get anything from me because the money was in my money belt — but my purse was opened twice in the same day! And I thought I was alert!! Teri, Portland, Ore.

I haven’t settled on how I want to teach this week’s lesson. I like the LifeWay application, but I think there is more to the background passage than meets the eye.

For example, Hezekiah prayed regularly and worshipped God, implying that he was spiritually alert, but his faithfulness was tested (2 Chron. 32:31).

Alternatively, David Self of Second Baptist, Houston, offers three applications:
1. In times of calamity, we must trust God.
2. God hears our prayers and answers them.
3. Rejecting God involves judgment.

No comments: