Sunday, October 09, 2005

Post mortem

In the Joy Over the Benefits Post, I mentioned the homework guide available from bible.org at Romans 5:1-11. Several class members mentioned to me proudly before class that they had worked thru the questions. Unfortunately, I should have asked members to volunteer answers to questions such as “For those that did the homework, what impressed you in particular about this passage from Romans?” Or, “Would someone share some insights or meaningful way God used the homework in your life?”

This would have encouraged members to complete future homework assignments, but I blew it. Next time I’ll try to remember to do this.

Even though I had tested playing it from PowerPoint many times, I had problems during class showing the golf swing demo where a player tries to obey numerous rules in order to achieve a perfect swing (even then we may hit a bad shot!). This illustrates the the foolishness of legalism. However, when the class ended, I quickly got the demo working and showed it to the majority of the class members anyway. It was a hit!

I point out this problem because it is difficult to be the “technical A/V” person and “teach the lesson” at the same time! The issue was simple to solve once my mind was clear of the pressure to teach the lesson. Argh!

In spite of these problems (and a few others), the lesson was well received. We’ll have to wait and see how God uses it in individual lives over the coming weeks.

1 comment:

Joe Kennedy said...

I posted this response on my blog as well:

I quoted directly from Richards' first paragraph on page 22 of Grace: The Power to Change. But I only read to page 47 before I put it down to read some other stuff. I never picked the book back up. Luckily, it was one of the few I recovered from my dorm room, so I was able to check on that. Have a good one.