Friday, November 18, 2005

The groans of the Spirit’s help: Romans 8:26-27

As Christians, we are weak when it comes to knowing what to pray in a given circumstance, or even in an everyday life situation. But Paul says the Spirit helps us by praying what Trey Turner calls our “wordless expressions of frustration.” This PPT slide will help me draw out a discussion of these unique verses in Romans 8. Remember to lead the class to praise God for this privilege we have as His children.

I don’t need to buy a “frustration ball.” Life serves up a regular supply of situations that highlight my weakness of not knowing “what I’m trying to say.”

Do I effectively pray for someone, for example, if I simply recall their name before God, but I can’t think of what to say to God on their behalf? To me, the Holy Spirit acts like a translator saying to God what goes unexpressed because of my frustration.

No comments: