Wednesday, August 09, 2006

No one is exempt

Eccl 9:11-12 declares that the unexpected can happened to anyone in life no matter what talents or resources they might possess. We can all expect the unexpected, so when it happens, don’t give up!

For Step 3 of the lesson “How can I handle life’s uncertainties?”, discuss with members the reasons behind the last time they wanted to drop out of some activity. Alternatively, you can present the following list of 'reasons' people “stopped going to church,” which I gathered from the WWW. As a group, speculate what the unexpected element was behind each excuse.

My boyfriend wouldn’t allow it.
The hypocrisy I observed in the church.
I didn’t need instant friends.
I couldn’t find a church I liked.
I was trapped in a marriage that was going nowhere.
My experience was not fulfilling.
I couldn’t sit still.
I didn’t have to.
My father wasn’t religious.
They didn’t worship God.
Tired of being told I was going to hell.
It wasn’t relevant.
Religion is fraud.
I started working on Sundays.
I couldn’t smoke anymore.
I didn’t want anything to interfere with my weekend.
None of my problems were being solved.

No comments: