Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The point is...

Step 2 of this last lesson “What’s the Bottom Line?” by LifeWay is from Ecclesiastes 11:9-10. Mark Rathel’s comments suggest an alternate title, “What is the essential point of life?”

According to verse 10, the key idea is to live life, but do it in awareness that God will judge us, each individually. This should inspire living in obedient alertness to God, like an attentive servant ready to do His master’s will. With this in mind, ask members what they personally rejoice about in life as recommended by the Teacher in verse 9.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to admit it, but I am looking forward to moving past Ecclesiastes. I just don't get. The first few chapters I understood...life lived under the sun is meaningless. Commentators said thta midway he began his turn toward God. Other than capter 12 it seems like his is still under the sun.
I taught Ecclesiastes in '94. My notes seem to suggest that I "got it". Maybe the next time it comes around it will make sense.
Just seemed liked it was not fluid...not moving in one direction but moving back and forth. I dunno.

servingHim said...

I see what you mean Pat. I've scratched my head more than once while reading Ecclesiastes. To note, I've tried not to read commentaries since they tend to tell me the 'answer'. I'd rather grapple with the text as it is rendered in various translations until I somewhat understand it. Then I process the LifeWay commentary, which sometimes confuses me about the general meaning of the text because it typically bends the discussion around a particular application (eg. see their commentary on verses 9-10 regarding 'boundaries'--good discussion, but I don't get that in the text).

As far as the main points go, I think the Teacher keeps circling back to the notions of (1) we are to enjoy what God has blessed us with in this life, particularily work, and (2) we are to always live life with God in mind. God put eternity into our hearts and nothing in the world can fill that void except Him.

Maybe some other folks have an opinion?