Thursday, August 17, 2006

Profit's up

Step 4 of “What’s the Bottom Line?” covers the bottom line, or said in a business way, the ‘net profit’ from the Teacher’s search for what’s meaningful in life. He concludes in Ecclesiastes 12:13-14 with “fear God and keep His commandments.”

To illustrate good use of this profit, ask members to think of what prevents them from yielding to temptation when it comes? Is it concern over damaging a good reputation? No. Is it for love of family? No. What is it then? You might share with your class what Pastor Scott Riling related in the Wednesday night message this week. He told Chuck Swindoll’s story of resisting temptation while riding in an elevator. Chuck said,

I was once in Canada. I had been away from home eight days and there were two more to go–a weekend. I was lonely and having a pity party for myself at supper—alone. I bought a newspaper, thumbed through the sports section, and found nothing but hockey—a Canadian favorite but not mine. I heaved a sigh and walked toward the elevator. En route, I heard a couple young women talking and laughing as they used the hotel phone in the lobby. I smiled as I passed by and a few steps later punched the “up” elevator button. I got on. So did the two ladies. I punched ‘6.’ They didn’t reach for the row of buttons, so I asked, ‘What floor?’ One looked at me rather sensually and said, ‘How about six? Do you have any plans?”We were alone on an elevator. In Canada. I was flattered, to be honest, since most folks don’t usually mistake me for Tom Selleck. These women were available and I was lonely. On that trip from the lobby to the sixth floor, I had an extremely significant decision to make...the bait had been dropped. Do you know what immediately flashed into my mind? My wife and children? No, not at first. My position and reputation? No, not then. The possibility of being seen or set up? No.

God gave me an instant replay of Galatians 6:7 where it says, ‘Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked A man reaps what he sows.’ and Ephesians 6:11, ‘Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand agains the devil’s schemes.’ and Romans 6:11-12, ‘Even so consider yourselves to be dead to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus. Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body that you should obey its lusts.’ During that elevator lift, the memorized Word [verse after verse] flew to my rescue. I looked back at the two ladies and replied, ‘I’ve got a full evening planned already; I’m really not interested.’ They looked at me like I was some sort of fool and stayed on the elevator as I stepped off. I walked to my room grateful for the overcoming power of God’s book.

No comments: