Saturday, June 24, 2006

A wisdom choice

Tomorrow’s ETB lesson encourages us to “Look to God for wisdom.” An illustration for your class to consider is the issue of drinking. Steve McCoy and friends, addressing an issue of what he calls “divisive rhetoric”, make clear their knowledge that drinking is permissible (1 Cor 10:23-24). But missing from their discussion is anything regarding the wisdom of drinking. I don’t want to reduce God's kingdom to simply a matter of drinking (Rom 14:17), but I’m curious to know what their thinking is?

My conviction is that drinking in moderation is not a sin. Personally, I abstain because of alcoholism in my family history, to set an example for others (1 Cor 8:9), and for the glory of God (1 Cor 10:31).

What counsel would you give someone who asks you about the wisdom of drinking?

2 comments:

Steve McCoy said...

What do you mean about the "wisdom of drinking?"

servingHim said...

Steve,

I’m not questioning God’s decision of whether it is right or wrong to drink. Simply put, if I don’t drink, then I don’t risk impaired judgment, ever get drunk, develop an emotional dependency on alcohol, become physically addicted to it, offend a weaker person, set a bad example, or publicly humiliate myself. Now, is that a wise way to live, or not? Hope this clarifies my question.