Monday, March 26, 2007

Exercise Submission's Power

This week we are studying 1 Peter 3:1-12 in a lesson titled “Exercise Submission’s Power”. The title implies that there is power in submission. The question is: Can the practice of submission further God’s kingdom?

Here is an interesting script presenting accusations made against early Christians, the type of which might have prompted Peter’s letter. It paints a picture that indicates Christians were misunderstood.

Tim King gives his opinion as to why the world hates Christians today (as he endeavors to clarify Jesus’s teaching in John 15—“the world will hate you”). Read the text or watch the video, but be warned, his assertions are terse. Also, without any rebuttal, he leaves you with the impression that hatred of Christians today is justified.

In this lesson, I don’t want to stray too far from Peter’s context of persecution and suffering. To grab member’s attention at the start, I’m thinking of beginning the lesson by reading 1 Peter 2:12 and 1 Peter 4:4, highlighting “accuse you” and “heap abuse on you.”

Next, I’d present what the world said about Christians in the past followed by what the world hates about Christians today (the two links above offer some help to support this).

With this opening plan, I can easily fold in a summary of last week’s lesson regarding submission to government authority and employers after the opening.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I'm not teaching this month.

servingHim said...

Ethel, a monthly rotation looks pretty nice right now!

Someone asked in class yesterday (Sunday) about wives submitting to husbands. My co-teacher Curt quickly noted, "Let's defer that. Ronnie is teaching on that next week and I don't want to steal his thunder!" Everyone laughed of course, except me. As always, I'll pray for God's help and for the Holy Spirit to have said what needs to be said!

Anonymous said...

Funny you would mention that!!! I said something very similar when one of our members commented about the same thing. I suggested we hold that discussion until next week when Betty is teaching!!