Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Power to Convince

Are you going to include a discussion of Ephesians 5:22 when you cover Step 2 of this week’s lesson, “Exercise Submission's Power”? In 1 Peter 3:1-6, Peter suggests that submission may lead to the conversion of a non-believing husband. On the other hand, Paul is more theological and cites God’s plan—Christ is head of the church and the wife submits to the husband as the church submits to Christ. He goes into more detail in 1 Corinthians 11:2-15.

If you stick close to Peter, then the idea of a wife beautifying herself with a “Hidden Heart” beauty product is a possible illustration. It’s the brand and the jar it comes in is called Submission. My homemade picture may help clarify the idea.


Lastly, I want to call your attention to 1 Peter 3:6 where it says, “do not give way to fear.” The LifeWay Leader Guide (p. 57) gives one explanation for what Peter meant. Another possible explanation, which I’ve heard, relates to the idea of a wife’s actions motivated by fear of not being in control of her husband. That is, naturally her tendency is to control, or dominate her husband, and submission means forfeiting that control, which causes fear. Peter commands wives not to give in to that fear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good point. I hope our teacher brings this up. I and several others in our class are "unequally yoked," and it is a very difficult place to be.

servingHim said...

Thanks for posting Ethel! Your thoughts are always a delight.

Your situation is where "the rubber meets the road". Only "faith in God" can triumph. We must all learn to trust God and believe His promises.

For example, "Do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."
Isaiah 41:10